Today we had a Pyjamarama Day! We all wore our pyjamas to school and we brought our favourite books to school too! We enjoyed sharing our books with a friend. We explained what our book was about, if it was fiction or non-fiction and we explained why we liked the book we had chosen. We had lots of fun!
Today we enjoyed a ‘Minibeast’ show. We were introduced to lots of mini beasts in the garden and we learned how they move, where they live and what they like to eat. We heard the tale of Sianny and how she turned from a caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly! We also saw what happens to seeds when they grow and what they need to keep healthy.
Spring Term 2019
This term our topic is 'Excellent Explorers'.
This project has a 'Knowledge and Understanding of the World' focus.
In this project the children will:
- Learn about the world around us.
- Learn about Soundscapes and will plan and create a soundscape of the jungle.
- Learn about the countries that are part of the United Kingdom.
- Research Maesteg, the town in which we live.
- Create a Fact File about Maesteg.
- Learn about temperature and investigate how temperatures differ around the world.
- Learn about our senses and will create a Senses poem.
We enjoyed our second session with Josh from All Stars Cricket. Today we focused on developing our batting and fielding skills. We had to work together as a team. It was lots of fun!
We had lots of fun working with Josh from All Stars Cricket. We enjoyed our warm-up games and then we practised our throwing and catching skills, whilst working with a partner. We can't wait until next Friday when we can develop these skills further.
We have been reading the book 'The Paper Bag Princess'. We discussed the qualities of the three characters - Princess Elizabeth, Prince Ronald and the Fierce Dragon. We started to talk about what makes a kind friend - like Princess Elizabeth, and we discussed what would make an unkind friend - like Prince Ronald. We decided to work in small groups and we listed these qualities. We then shared our thoughts with the class.
During Eco Week, we researched the number of air miles four different foods travel from around the world. We researched the foods that come from Canada, Spain, Africa and Thailand. We looked at Globes and Atlases to find out where these countries are and we labelled the countries on a map of the world. Each group used the internet to research one of the countries and we created a Fact File to contain all the information we had discovered.
We were invited to attend Dosbarth Arian's Roman Exhibition! We had lots of fun completing the activities they had planned for us and we learned lots about the Romans too. Dosbarth Arian also helped us to dress in Togas! Mrs Spracklen looked great in hers!
Autumn Term 2018
This term our topic is 'Once Upon a Time'.
This project has a design technology focus.
In this project the children will learn:
- To identify and sort different materials into groups;
- How to describe and select appropriate materials for a task;
- How to make joins, moving parts and mechanisms;
- How to design a product - a wedding invitation with a 'pop-up' feature;
- How to write a formal invitation;
- How to re-tell and sequence a traditional fairy tale;
- How to upload a digital photograph;
- How to write an email and learn how to send it.
We went on a trip to The Tabernacle Church in Bridgend to see the Nativity Story. It was a wonderful performance and we all had an enjoyable visit to this Church.
The Fire Service came to school to teach Dosbarth Gwyrdd about Fire Safety. We all thought Miss Williams looked fantastic as a Fire Woman! But the special uniform that has to be worn was very heavy!
We have been learning about the Hindu festival of Diwali. We used the internet to research this festival and we recorded our findings in a thought-shower or a Fact File. We enjoyed using different coloured paints to create our own Rangoli patterns.
Summer Term 2018
Our Visit From Captain Cook!
Captain Cook came to visit us today. He has asked for our help. He explained that he has crashed his pirate ship into the rocks at Porthcawl and all his cargo has spilled out into the sea. Captain Cook makes world-famous chocolate chip cookies and all the ingredients for making them have now disappeared into the ocean. Captain Cook needs our help to restart his business. He needs us to raise money to help him buy the ingredients, allowing him to make his delicious cookies again.
Spring Term 2018
This term, our topic is called 'Mini Zoo'.
We will learn:
- About the habitats of domestic and wild animals;
- Why animals are important to us and how we care for them;
- How Zoos or Wildlife Parks are organised and research how they look after the animals;
- How to make a simple map or plan;
- How to solve simple money problems;
- How to use the internet and books to find information.
A Visit from ZOO LAB! - 22.03.18
We enjoyed a visit from Zoo Lab. We met a giant snail, cockroach, frog, snake and a bearded dragon. We were very brave and we stroked or held each one. We learned lots of facts about each creature.
It was lots of fun!
Birds of Prey Visit - 09.03.18
Today we had a visit from Birds of Prey. We were told lots of interesting facts about the birds. We then decided to research facts about the birds we saw, using the ipads in class.
We celebrated World Book Day. We dressed up as our favourite animal or character from a book. We enjoyed our day full of Literacy activities, which included; sharing our favourite book with a friend; listening to the older children from Year 5 reading us a story; designing and making our own bookmarks and reading our books in the Story Tents. What a busy, fun day we had!
As part of our topic, we enjoyed visiting the Lego Safari Animals, on display at Cardiff Bay in February.
We enjoyed our ride on the Aquabus too.
Autumn Term 2017
This term, our topic is called 'Superheroes'.
We will learn;
- To understand the features used by authors and cartoonists in
comics and film to describe superheroes;
- To identify healthy eating habits;
- To read comic strips and dialogue fluently;
- To use music movement and musical instruments to express
the characteristics of fictional characters;
- To identify acceptable behaviour and give reasons for your
- To describe ‘superheroes’ and describe their lives through diary entries.
We enjoyed our Autumn Term trip to Cardiff Castle.
We had a wonderful time visiting Santa at his workshop in Cardiff Castle. We each received a special gift and we told him where we would like him to leave our presents, ready to be opened on Christmas morning!
The Christmas trees on display inside Castle Castle were spectacular! They made us feel very festive!
We enjoyed our tour around Castle Castle. Out tour guide, called Dave, took us around the Castle and talked about the different rooms. We were able to ask him questions to find out more information too.
To bring your Reading Book to school every Monday.
PE is every Wednesday. PE kits can be worn to school - joggers, leggings, t-shirt, school jumper or cardigan and trainers.
Learning Logs will be sent home on a Friday. Please bring them back to school every Tuesday.